SwitchGrocery has the best sugar free chocolates bars and chocolate chips in Canada!!
Coco Polo chocolates are high quality, sugar free and are enhanced with different superfoods for the most amazing flavours! And the best part is that they are available in Canada through SwitchGrocery!!
Why We Picked Coco Polo
- The owners are pros! They each have over 30 years of experience in the industry and genuinely care about their customers’ health journeys and satisfaction — whether they be keto, diabetic, sugar free or just people who love great chocolate!
- The chocolates are DELICIOUS. No shortcuts are taken and the highest quality ingredients are used!
- Canadians deserve amazing products like this as quickly as possible.
I believe that awesome companies should be able to get their products to customers quickly, without waiting years to get on the shelves of traditional retail stores. Plus, the food you eat should make you feel good and help you on your health journey!
Coco Polo is all of those things and we are so excited to be able to bring it to you!
Behind the Company
John Cunnell, Diane Yamate, and Sandra O‘Shea founded Coco Polo back in 1996 as a result of pure creative problem solving. Diane’s dad has diabetes and couldn’t find a chocolate that could satisfy his sweet tooth and, also, one that even his family and friends who didn’t have diabetes would like.
Since then, Coco Polo has continued to innovate high-quality chocolate without added sugars, while remaining committed to its goals of:
- Making a chocolate that people (regardless of lifestyle or taste preferences) would be happy to eat — not settle for!
- Using only the highest quality ingredients for their chocolates
- Giving Diane’s dad something he would be proud of!
What is it?
Coco Polo is chocolate as it was meant to be created and consumed: without any distraction from all that added sugar. They use a high-quality cacao known as “specialty cacao” and based on estimates from the Fine Cacao and Chocolate Institute (a non-profit that identifies, develops, and promotes fine cacao and chocolate) this is only used by an exclusive 210 chocolate makers in all of Canada and the US!
The rest of Coco Polo’s ingredients live up to this high standard as they firmly believe people have a right to know exactly what is in their food. Coco Polo ingredients have two characteristics that make it truly stand out from the rest:
Non-GMO - Coco Polo works with suppliers to source only non-GMO ingredients. Most people have heard of the controversy surrounding GMOs but why exactly are they negative? Well, since GMOs are meant to produce the most ideal and efficient product, over 80% of them are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, toxic herbicides have increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced! It also has indirect results of encouraging the growth of “superweeds” and “superbugs” which can only be killed with even MORE toxic chemicals. The long-term effects of GMOs on the environment and biodiversity is not fully understood, so we could be playing a high-risk game by using them.
Another lesser known impact of GMOs is the threat they pose to farmers across the world. Since GMOs are made by biotechnology companies, those companies are able to patent them and then sue farmers whose fields become contaminated with GMOs, even if it’s the result of a drift from neighbouring fields.
Stevia - Derived from a plant found in South America, this sweetener is up to 300 times sweeter than sugar… WITHOUT raising blood insulin levels (and it’s 0 calories)! Coco Polo spent 20 years getting the mixture JUST right, so that these chocolate bars taste like chocolate. They don’t taste like sugar free chocolate, they don’t have a “funny” aftertaste, they simply taste delicious.
If that wasn't enough, the sourcing of their ingredients is JUST as high-quality, sourcing only from Fair Trade certified farms. Their cocoa is sourced through: Côte d’Ivoire Alliance of Farmers, Cocoa Livelihoods Program, Processors Alliance for Cocoa Traceability and Sustainability (PACTS).
Flavours, flavours, and more flavours
Each flavour inclusion in the chocolates are chosen carefully to meet certain criteria:
- It must be nutrient dense,
- It must help boost your health, and
- It must also have a low glycemic index to match the focus on sugar free!
- Chia Seeds were added to the Coconut and Chia Seed bar because they felt coconut wasn’t enough of a health enhancement on its own!
- Quinoa was added to the Crispy Quinoa bar to make a crispy bar that is a nutritional powerhouse rather than going with the normal addition of rice, which comes with its poor nutrition and high glycemic index.
- Montmorency Cherries were used in the Cherry bars for their anti-inflammatory properties plus the fact that they are diabetic friendly!
- Elderberries were chosen for their amazing immune boosting powers!
- Cocoa Nibs – 100% cacao provides a huge antioxidant boost!
In each case, the additional ingredients are added whole rather than ground and mixed into the bar, so you actually see what you are eating! You actually see the almond in the Whole Almond bars or see the actual hazelnut pieces in the Hazelnut Bar.
Who should use Coco Polo?
Coco Polo has perfected their process and methods to make the best-tasting chocolate that works for so many dietary needs.
These bars were originally made so that people with diabetes could enjoy chocolate (Coco Polo is actually approved by the Feingold Organization, which was created to help people with dietary challenges, and partners with Roche to help treat the “Whole Diabetic Customer”), but they are also great if you are keto, low-carb, sugar-free or even if you just love great quality, delicious chocolate (especially one without all the guilt)!
Just check out some of these amazing reviews on our site:
If you haven’t tasted CocoPolo in any of its forms, bars, buttons, well, it’s time to get your head outta the ground and join the rest of us connoisseurs of good taste!! CocoPolo has created chocolate that is low in sugar but big in taste!! First their amazing bars. And now buttons to jazz up your low carb baked goods. This is a small company with a big conscious. Chocolate without the guilt!! Oh and it’s delicious too!!
Coco Polo Chocolates are delicious, The End! They are sugar free, contain amazing ingredients and the founders care so much about making the highest quality chocolate possible! Coco Polo has even become part of my baking – I love using the Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (and eating a handful while baking!) in my pancakes, waffles, Hot Chocolate or really anything else I can think of!