In a recent chat with Simi, co-founder of Jaswant’s Kitchen, she revealed to us some of her favourite ways to use their products.
Missed our chat? No problem! Just click the video below to watch the recording. We've also included timestamps in the Youtube description!
Prefer to read than watch? We got you! Scroll down to the main points and takeaways from the Live.
How did Jaswant's Kitchen Come to Be?
Indian food can be complicated and intimidating to make, let alone time-consuming.
Mom (aka Jaswant herself!) always cooked from scratch. The food values she instilled in her children included real, healthy foods.
After calling mom and asking for recipes over and over again, mom came up with the blends to make cooking easier and less time consuming (but just as tasty!)
And then Jaswant’s Kitchen took off!
What Are Some Tips for Each Spice Blend?
- Tumeric Latte: Make in large batches, store in fridge and heat when ready to drink!
- Masala Fish Seasoning: Not just fish! Apply to any protein of your choice!
- Raita Salt: Perfect seasoning for salads, yogurt, chicken wings, and more! Great for replenishing electrolytes during your fast!
- Tadka Masala: Premade spice blend for your curries when you don’t have time for the onion frying and spice mixing.
- Tandoori Masala: A great grilling spice for marinating and grilling!
- Garam Masala: Less is more when applying this finishing spice. Simi recommends ¼ tsp for every 1 tsp of Tadka Masala!
- Chai Masala: Get creative! Add to coffee with our Dirty Chai Frappe recipe or add some to your baking!
Other Tips and Tricks?
Ginger and garlic prep:
Most recipes call for ginger and garlic.
To save time, batch prep these two ingredients and freeze, so you always have on hand!
For ginger, mince fresh ginger in food processor, lay on baking sheet in 1 tbsp balls, freeze for at least one hour (so they freeze individually), and then store in freezer bag until needed!
For garlic, mince fresh garlic in food processor, lay on baking sheet in 1 tsp balls, freeze for at least one hour (so they freeze individually), and then store in freezer bag until needed!
Meal prep tips:
- Pre-marinate dishes and freeze. When ready to eat, all you have to do is cook!
- To make butter chicken, make tandoori chicken on the first night and reserve half. The next day, use the leftover tandoori chicken to make butter chicken, by adding tomatoes and butter!
Be sure to check out our “Top 5 Low Carb Barbecue Recipes” blog post, featuring delicious Jaswant’s Kitchen inspired recipes!
We also have two Turmeric Latte Recipes for you to discover!
Jaswant’s Kitchen and SwitchGrocery have partnered with truLOCAL, an amazing meat delivery service that lets you shop for clean, locally sourced meat online, delivered straight to your door. truLOCAL is currently available in Ontario and Alberta, with plans to further expand across Canada!
- Shop Jaswant's Kitchen line over here!