A one-of-a-kind nut, jam-packed with loads of nutrients, and high in fat, low in carbs; introducing Pili Hunters Pili Nuts!
Pili Hunter Pili (pronounced PEEL-Y) Nuts are harvested from the wild, deep in the luscious rainforests of the Philippines. To describe its taste and texture, think of a cross between a macadamia nut and a cashew: super rich and buttery.
We are so thrilled that these amazing, one-of-a-kind nuts are finally available in Canada on SwitchGrocery!
Why We Picked Pili Hunters
- Jason Thomas, founder of Pili Hunters, is an inspiration! He’s an adventurer at heart and has seen basically every inch of the globe. Because of that, he has a deep appreciation for nature and his mission with Pili Hunters is to source and share this incredible nut sustainably and ethically.
- Pili Hunters was the first American company to sell Pili Nuts! Jason and his team were the first to introduce Pili Nuts to the North American market, doing us all a great favour because these nuts are so flavourful and unbelievably nutritious!
- Canadians deserve products this good as quickly as possible!
I believe that awesome companies should be able to get their products to customers quickly, without waiting years to get on the shelves of traditional retail stores. Plus, the food you eat should make you feel good and help you on your health journey!
Pili Hunters is all of those things and we are so excited to be able to bring it to you!
Behind the Company
Jason grew up in Barrow, Alaska and has always had an appetite for adventure. One of his adventures took him to the Philippines and he fell in love with the country and eventually stumbled upon pili nuts, which are native to the islands. He became so fascinated by this newfound nut because of its unique taste and nutritional value that he brought back 15 lbs of it to the US!
In 2015, Pili Hunters became the first company to introduce the Pili Nut to the US and Canada. Jason and his team have since stuck by their mission to share pili nuts in sustainable and ethical ways:
- He makes sure to remain completely transparent about the origin of pili nuts, uplifting the Filipino community Pili Hunters works with;
- Pili Hunters Pili Nuts are wild-harvested from centuries-old rainforests by Filipinos who have been doing so for generations;
- Jason continues to visit the Philippines each year to help with the harvest and to strengthen his relationship with the Filipino community he works with.
What is it?
Pili Hunters Pili Nuts are the lowest-carb (they’re grain- and gluten-free!) and highest-fat nuts you can find. The immense nutritional value from a small thing like a nut is mind-blowing! Here are just some of the things Pili Nuts have:
- Complete protein
- High in phosphorus, calcium, manganese, omega 3 fatty acids, and antioxidants
- Highest magnesium content of ANY nut at 86 mg per ounce (or 20% of the recommended daily intake for adults).
And as for the taste? Think of a cross between macadamia nuts and cashews. They’re buttery, but with a richer and more tender flavour!
Why is Pili Hunters so special?
In two words: sustainable and ethical.
Sustainability — This is one of the most ecologically-sustainable nuts out there. Pili Hunters Pili Nuts require ZERO irrigation compared to the one gallon of water needed for one almond. Since they're wild-harvested, this means that Pili Hunters never over-harvests and doesn't use monocrop agriculture techniques which can threaten the biodiversity of the rainforest, deplete the soil's health, and thus, the nutrient value of the food grown in it. Pili Hunters instead works around mother nature’s conditions rather than altering the environment to ensure the resilience of the local Philippine ecosystem.
In addition, Pili Hunters is committed to never using pesticides or fertilizers! They opt for the natural fertilizer for Pili Nut rainforests -- volcanic soil!
Ethical sourcing — A huge chunk of Pili Hunters' operations is based out of the Philippines, led by local villagers who have been harvesting pili nuts for centuries! They first gather the nuts by climbing up pili trees and shaking down its ripe fruit to the forest floor. After that, each fruit is soaked in water to reveal the nut buried inside then shelled by hand with a single strike of a sharp machete. This entire harvesting process is the traditional and long-standing strategy Filipinos have been using, and it is carried out with the health of the rainforest and local population in mind.
Pili Nuts come in different flavours including:
- Natural (no seasoning)
- Coconut Oil and Himalayan Salt
- Rosemary and Olive Oil
- Raw Cacao
- Spicy Chili (uses Pili Hunters’ delicious Labuyo sauce for flavour!)
Pili Hunters also has some other amazing products featuring this amazing nut -- a Dark Chocolate Pili Nut Bar and Pili Nut Butters!
Who should use Pili Hunters?
Everyone and anyone!
Pili Nuts are absolutely great for people on a keto or low-carb diet, for anyone concerned with the environmental impact of other nuts, or really, for anyone who just loves delicious food! I love adding the Coconut Oil and Himalayan Salt or the Rosemary and Olive Oil Pili Nuts to my salads, the Raw Cacao Pili Nuts to my baked goods (brownies!!), and the Spicy Chili just to snack on! I love the pili nut butters out of the freezer - it's a pack of engery!
Pili Hunters Pili Nuts and Buyo Hot Sauces have become part of my regular routine. Because the nuts are so filling, I can have a few and be satisfied. I take a pack with me when I am travelling or running around a lot as a snack so that I don’t buy food and they are perfect! For the Buyo Sauces – I love flavour. I don’t always love really spicy foods, but I do love flavour and these hot sauces have a ton of flavour, even in a little bit of sauce. I always keep a bottle in the fridge and bring the little 1oz travel bottles with me when travelling!
Jason was also in ABC's Shark Tank! Check out his episode, it's super inspiring!
Plus, check out our favourite ways to use Lee's Provisions products in our Recipes section.
This Pili Nut Chocolate Banana Bread is so easy to bake!