Butter tarts are like a pecan pie but with a gooey butter filling that’s semi solid. Now is the time to try out these low carb, sugar free, Keto butter tarts made with Olive Nation Maple Extract, Origin Vanilla and pecans!
These will be your new favourite Keto baking for the whole family to enjoy. These are really convenient and tasty to bring to the office or save some for your afternoon treat!
Servings: 6 Butter Tarts | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients to make these Keto Butter Tarts
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 3/4 cup brown sugar substitute/ sweetener
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp Olive Nation Maple Extract
- 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp Origin Vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
12 pecan halves chopped
Directions for Crust:
- Whisk together the almond and coconut flour, xanthan gum and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the cold butter into the mixture using a pastry blender or with two forks (do this step quickly so the butter doesn’t melt) then do the same with the cream cheese.
- Add the egg and the apple cider vinegar, continue to mix until small pellets form.
- Grab the mixture with your hands and knead the dough until well mixed together to form a ball.
- Wrap ball with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for an hour.
Roll out dough on lightly coconut floured parchment paper, you may want to use another piece of parchment on top to roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick. Then using a 4″ round cookie cutter, cut out the shells (if you don’t have a 4″ cutter use a 4″ round plate if you have one).
Note: If you want a thick crust like the photos above, 1/4″ should work. Thicker makes it easier to peel off the parchment paper.
- Place each shell into a muffin tin, no butter or parchment needed as the butter in the crust will be enough. Use any remaining dough to patch any holes that may have occured while placing into muffin tins. See the video to see how we made them.
- Place into the fridge until ready to fill.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Directions for the Filling:
- In a saucepan melt the butter and brown sweetener. Keep stirring, it may first appear that the sweetener is not melting but it will.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream, maple extract and vanilla.
- Let it cool to touch for about 5 minutes but keep stirring until it's cool.
- Whisk in the egg.
- Chop the pecans and divide into each shell.
- Pour in the filling with a tablespoon until two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 375°F or until pastry shells are golden brown.
- Let cool a few minutes and then use your fingers and gently twist the tarts to loosen them from the tin. Remove from tins and allow them to completely cool on a wire rack.
Serving: 1 tart | Calories: 349 kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 31g |
Olive Nation Pure Maple Extract - Maple Extract made with real maple concentrate for authentic taste
Origin Vanilla Extract - Pure vanilla extract made using fine, hand-selected vanilla beans sourced from small farms around the world.