Butter tarts are like a pecan pie but with a gooey butter filling that’s semi solid. Now is the time to try out these low carb, sugar free, Keto butter tarts made with Lee's Great Canadian Maple Ghee and pecans! These will be your new favourite Keto baking for the whole family to enjoy. These are really convenient and tasty to bring to the office or save some for your afternoon treat!
Servings: 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 3/4 cup brown sugar substitute/ sweetener
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp of Lee's Great Canadian Maple Ghee (If you don’t have maple ghee you can double the amount of butter and use a maple extract if you want the maple taste)
- 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
12 pecan halves chopped
Directions for Crust:
- Combine the almond and coconut flour, xanthan gum and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the cold butter into the mixture using a pastry blender or with two forks (do this step quickly so the butter doesn’t melt) then do the same with the cream cheese.
- Add the whisked egg and the apple cider vinegar, continue to mix until small pellets form.
- Grab the mixture with your hands and knead the dough until well mixed together to form a ball.
- Wrap ball with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for about an hour.
Roll out dough on lightly coconut floured parchment paper, you may want to use another piece of parchment on top to roll out the dough to 1/8″ thick. Then using a 4″ cookie cutter, cut out the shells (if you don’t have a 4″ cutter use a 4″ round plate if you have one).
Note: If you want a thick crust like the photos above, 1/8″ should work. Basically if you did not use all the dough, you didn’t make them thick enough. Plus thicker makes it easier to peel off the parchment paper.
- Place each shell into a muffin tin, no butter or parchment needed as the butter in the crust should be enough.
- Place into the fridge until ready to fill.
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Directions for the Filling:
- In a saucepan melt the butter, Lee's Great Canadian Maple Ghee and brown sweetener. Keep stirring, it may first appear that the sweetener is not melting but it will.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Let it cool to touch for about 5 minutes but keep stirring until it's cool.
- Whisk in the egg.
- Chop the pecans and divide into each shell.
- Pour in the filling into half full.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until pastry shells are golden brown.
- Let cool a few minutes and then use your fingers and gently twist the tarts to loosen them from the tin. Remove from tins and allow them to completely cool on a wire rack.
Servings: 6 | Calories: 277 | Net Carb: 3g | Total Fat: 26g | Total Carb: 6g | Protein: 4g