Craving Chinese food but finding it difficult to get that signature flavour in your favourite dishes? Thanks to Blank Slate Kitchen, there's no more resorting to Chinese takeout every night! Their team shared this amazing recipe for you to try out if you're not yet too sure how to play around with their Sichuan Chili Oil. Vegan, sugar-free, and unbelievably easy and quick to make, this Mapo Tofu dish is perfect to get you out of that meal prep slump, and get you excited about cooking and experimenting in the kitchen all over again!
Blank Slate Kitchen Sichuan Chili Oil is that one missing ingredient you couldn't quite put your finger on that'll take Chinese dishes to a new level. This chili oil combines a dozen spices and aromatics, as well as two types of ground chilis and Sichuan peppercorns, into one easy product. Savoury and indulgent, with enough kick to excite your tastebuds, this newly-launched product is already one of our pantry staples.
Servings: 4 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 5 minutes
¼ cup oil
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cold water
1 ½ lbs tofu (cut into ½-inch cubes)
3 cloves garlic (grated or minced)
1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated or minced)
2 tbsp Xiaoxing cooking wine (i.e. rice wine. Dry sherry can also be used as a substitute or for non-alcoholic options, use apple juice or white grape juice)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup stock
¼ cup green scallions (finely sliced)
Optional: ¼ lb meat protein of choice
- Mix cornstarch and cold water until thoroughly combined. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add tofu and cook for 1 minute. Drain, being careful not to break up the tofu.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add mushrooms, stir constantly for 1 minute. If you are adding meat to the dish, add in the pan now and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger and cook for about 15 seconds. Add wine, soy sauce, and stock and bring to a boil. Mix in cornstarch mixture and cook for 30 seconds until thickened. Add tofu and carefully fold in. Stir in chili oil and half of the scallions, and let simmer for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle remaining scallions on top. Drizzle more chili oil and serve immediately.
Servings: 4 servings | Calories: | Net Carb: g | Total Fat: g | Total Carb: g | Fiber: g | Protein: g
Nutritional and macronutrient information may vary slightly depending on brands/ingredients used.
- A few drops go a long way!
- Add to stir fries, eggs, rice, pair with dumplings and more!
Source: Blank Slate Kitchen's Mapo Tofu