It was the year 2014.
I struggled so much with the on and off diets that when someone recommended keto / low carb, I thought - what do I have to lose. Well, I gained my health back, a small business, and today, I am a new mom!
I don't know if you feel the way I do but a health journey changes with every life and circumstance change. Whether you are recommitting to a low carb lifestyle (like I am post partum) or starting out, I wrote this blog and started this company for the same reason - to help you and to help myself.
Over the past 2 years, my family has identified so many obstacles that make keto harder then it should be (see below), searched for the best supplier we could find who makes that food with integrity and expertise, and sourced that for you. We have so many happy Customer Friends and can't wait to welcome you in to the Switch Family.
If you want to get to the good stuff, check out our Keto Starter Pack for the best foods to start recommended by our Customer Friends.
I have got you covered if you (select the Obstacle to be taken to that section):
- Miss that dessert life!
- Love your morning coffee!
- Want bread (who doesn’t?)
- Need a low carb no fillers protein powder!
- Need to increase your fat intake
- Are looking for 10 minute lunch and dinner prep ideas
- Want that chocolate fix!
- Are busy and snacks is your middle name
- Crave flavour and spice with no hidden sugar and carbs
- Struggle with those night-time cravings
Our mission is to find foods that make you feel good.
Read on if you:
- are new to keto!
- are looking for low carb and sugar free options to help you manage your diabetes
- are on the hunt for sugar free treats for your family
- nutrient dense foods are important to you
With help from our Customer Friends and reviewing our best selling food products), here are a list of suggestions for you to help make the Switch!
Please ask us questions! Click the blue icon in the bottom right to send us a message!
Or if you want to hear more, please signup for your mailing list at the bottom of the page!!!
But first, dessert?
A DELICIOUS and EASY TO MAKE dessert is probably the biggest thing people on Keto miss.
Good Dee's Baking Mixes are:
- Minimal ingredients
- Sunflower seed or almond flour based
- Only 2 – 3 extra ingredients - eggs, a fat source and sometimes vanilla!
- Max of 30 minutes in the oven and voila!
- Brownie, Muffins, Pancakes, Chocolate Chip and Butter Pecan cookies and more!
- Low Carb, sweetened with stevia and erythritol!
If you don't have time to bake and are looking for ready to eat sugar free cookies:
- OMG Snacks cookies in double chocolate and peanut butter flavours
- Bald Baker makes low carb and plant based brownies and cookies
Dessert was so hard when I started keto! It was a huge obstacle for me, whether it was family gatherings or just with a nice dinner. These foods helped me so much, I even sneak my own dessert into big family dinners now!
What do you do for your big family dinners?
If this is one of your biggest obstacles too, then click HERE and look at some of these amazing foods that have helped me so much!
I love my Morning Coffee!
A fatty coffee is the cornerstone of the keto diet because it keeps you satiated. Supercharge your morning coffee with Lee's Ghee Brown Butter or Lee’s Good Fat Vanilla Blend or Dark Chocolate Blend (hello mocha!). Blend along with some cream!
Why Lee’s Ghee over all others? Certified organic and small batch ghee in Canada delivers on taste buds.
I didn't forget sugar free sweetener in my coffee - SweetMonk Monk Fruit Sweetener is the OG monk fruit sweetener.
My coffee order before keto - 2 Milk, 1 (or 2 depending on the day) sugars. Making a change in my coffee was a huge obstacle to me continuing keto, and these foods were what helped me through it!
What was your coffee order pre-keto and what do you have now? Let me know in the comments, or send me a message!
If you want to check out some of these foods that have helped me so much in the morning, click HERE!
I Miss Bread!
I do too! I used Bake in a Minute bread mixes to help me!,
They come in 2 blends:
- Original - almond flour based
- Sunflower Seed - a nut free option (tastes like rye bread!)
My go to to make with Bake in a Minute are:
- Bread loaf (recipe)
- Pizza Crust (recipe)
- Burger Buns or Sandwich Thins (recipe)
- Pancakes or Waffles (recipe)
- Binder in meatloaf and meatballs!
I also love Good Dee’s Corn (free) bread - I love adding jalapenos and cheddar cheese- check out the recipe!) and grab one of those from the freezer to pair with chili.
Our newest product is Good Dee's Multi Purpose Bread Mix! This mix is so versatile, you can make a loaf of bread, dinner rolls, foccaci bread and anything else. I use this to make dinner rolls and storing them in the freezer.
Not surprising, but one of the biggest obstacles for me on keto was I missed bread! I missed having a sandwich, or peanut butter on toast or a burger on a bun! I was so happy to find Bake in a Minute and Good Dee's, it made my journey so much easier!
Do you miss bread as much as I did? If you do, click HERE for these awesome foods that helped me so much!
I need Protein!
More than just a protein blend - full of amazing superfoods like Reishi, spirulina, camu camu, maca. The purpose of Philosophie Superfooods is to save you time and $ from buying more superfoods to live your best life
- 3 flavours - Cacao Magic (think chocolate!), Berry Bliss (think Berry - like berry frozen drink in the summer!) and Green Dream (Green but delicious!)
- 10g of Protein and 1-2g net carb per serving!
- No fillers, sweeteners or sugars
- Amazing in Coffees (Cacao Magic), Hot Chocolate (recipe), Smoothies (All), Pesto/Sauces (Recipe - Green Dream) and Chia Puddings (recipe) and dressings!
SwitchGrocery was started with the idea that Canadians should have access to amazing foods from smaller suppliers. In so many cases, these amazing products that can help with your keto journey, like Philosophie, just aren't available to us.
I wanted a dairy free protein powder, since I don't feel well after eating whey, and I found Philosophie!
These amazing protein superfood powders were one of my original inspirations to start SwitchGrocery - I wanted them to be available in Canada! Click HERE if you want to try them out!
I need more Healthy Fats
Upping more fat in my diet is what really changed the game for me on keto (even when I was pregnant and low carb, healthy fats just keep me satiated.
Pili Nuts from Pili Hunters
- Highest fat and lowest carbohydrate content of any nut
- Perfect on the go – purse, stroller, car, office desk drawer, gym bag!
- Pili Hunters was the first Pili Nut Company around!
- Pili Nut Butters (yes butters) original, raw cacao, pumpkin spice and Hazelnut (think Ferraro Rocher!!) flavours!
- Fatso is peanut butter on steroids - added coconut oil, avocado oil, MCT oil, chia seed, and flax.
- One spoonful and you will be hooked!
- Three amazing flavours – Original, Salted Caramel and Cocoa!
- Lee’s Ghee Plain Jane and 50/50 Good Fat Blends are delicious and smooth everyday fats!
- Great for cooking, melting over veggies, adding to coffee or really anything #ISpreadThatGheeOnEverything
When I started keto, my thoughts went something like - fat is bad, I shouldnt eat the fat, so even though I was keto, one of my obstacles was that I still had trouble getting the right amount.
Was this something you struggled with too?
These different sources of fat really helped me incorporate fat into my day since it can be so difficult at the beginning. If you need awesome fats too, click HERE!
No time! I need a quick lunch!
live. Wraps are our all time best sellers and recommended by our incredible Customer Friends when you’re starting out a low carb lifestyle.
- 5 flavours: Turmeric, Super Green, Sundried Tomato, Chipotle, Golden Flax
- Net Carbs - 2-5g depending on flavour.
- Made from dehydrated veggies and flax, no grains or fillers!
My favourite ways to use live wraps:
- Nachos (recipe)
- Breakfast wraps
- Sandwich wraps
- "chips" and “crackers”
One of our newest products has become my go to for a quick lunch - Keto Chow! Keto Chow is a nutritionally complete meal replacement shake that is delicious too! I usually make 3-4 days worth at a time (it gets better the longer you leave it in the fridge, up to 6 days), and then I just grab one for lunch. Especially once I became a parent, I learned that it's not always possible to make lunch and I found myself just grabbing anything. So once I found Keto Chow, and could make sure I was getting the right nutrition, I LOVED it!
Check out our article on Keto Chow and the awesome founders here!
One of the biggest obstacles I have found is what to have for lunch when I am short of time (which is an even bigger challenge now that I'm a mom!)
Any parents out there, or really anyone who is short of time, comment or let me know what you do for your quick lunches on the go!
All of these foods have helped me so much, and I hope they can help you too! If you think they can, click HERE to check them out!
I’m Craving Chocolate!
Coco Polo chocolate bars - read the review and enough said! Unique flavours like mango, hazelnut, coconut, elderberry, and cherry
Plus, dark meets the criteria for a Max Lugavere Genius Food! (what are Genius Foods?)
When I first started Keto, one of the obstacles to me continuing was how much I missed chocolate. One of my good friends introduced me to Coco Polo about six months in, and it saved me and I hope it can help you too!
If you think it can, click HERE to check out Coco Polo Chocolates!
No time! I need snacks!
My favorite go-to is Keto Bars!
- Pre-workout, breakfast, afternoon slump, after dinner snack, travel, work, breastfeeding snack (yes, me!)
- 4 flavours - Chocolate Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond, Mint Chocolate and the famous collab with KetoConnect, Chocolate Covered Strawberry!
- We tried EVERY bar on the market and couldn’t find anything else that compares to the clean ingredients, macros and taste of these bars!
- Pili Hunters Pili Nuts - talked about under the Healthy Fats above.
- If you miss chips and you’re craving that savoury crunchy snack, Eve’s Crackers Black Sesame are your go to! Zero carb and plant based, they make amazing soup toppers, salad toppers or pair with cheese on a charcuterie board.
When I started keto, one of the things I missed was a snack with my afternoon coffee! I tried a lot of the traditional keto snacks and they just weren't for me, so when I found these, it really helped me get over that obstacle and make it through the day.
I hope they can help you too, click HERE to see some of my favourites!
I miss flavour and spice!
Goal: save $ on Indian food takeout and stay keto. Did you know restaurants add sugar to curries and other dishes?
1) Jaswant's Kitchen Spice Blends (only 4)
Indian food MADE LOW CARB - recipes on SwitchGrocery blog with macros
- Tried a lot of spice blends and landed on this one because the spices are actually roasted to bring out the flavour!
- 3 spice blends from Jaswant's Kitchen – Tadka, Tandoori and Garam
- Make Tandoori Chicken, Beef Curry, Paneer Tikka and more
- Top visited - Top 5 Low Carb Barbecue (BBQ) Recipes and Tandoori Chicken / Butter Chicken
2) Burlap & Barrel Single Origin Spices!
I LOVE cooking and spices are one of my favourite things to play with. I'm always looking for different spices to amp up my food and help boring things (fried eggs) be more exciting (because time!)! When I found Burlap & Barrel, it was amazing - the spices are so much more flavourful then what I found in my grocery store! I use these spices in place of my normal ones, but because they are so flavourful, you can use 1/2 the amount to start with!
We put together a blog post on this company and why we carry them - check it out HERE!
3) Vancouver Island Salt Co.
Salt is also an important part of anyones cooking, especially on Keto. I had been looking for salt for awhile, and was amazed to find a Canadian company! Their salt is used in some of the best restaurants in Canada, and it is so good! I use the fine and flake in my normal everyday cooking, and have also been playing with the Coffee Salt as a rub on meat and adding on veggies!
2 more of our Customer Friend favourites:
- Abokichi Chili Miso sauces is one of the best condiment hands down. Jazz up cauliflower rice, eggs, meats and veggies with it!.
- Pili Hunters Buyo sauce, from the Labuyo chili from the Philippines, has been a replacement for any tomato based sauce ringing in at 0 carbs/serving. Comes in a travel size #hotsauceinmybagswag
These spices helped me enjoy my food again! When I first started Keto, most of my meals were bland since I didn't know how to cook with different spices and flavours without carbs, and flavour was a huge obstacle for me to continue since I was just getting bored!
Once I found spices, and started using these ones, my food was so much more fun! If you want to try some of these, click HERE to see my favourite spices and sauces!
Evenings and nights can be challenging and I feel very snacky!
- I love the Jaswant’s Kitchen Turmeric Latte, its delicious and easy to make! My favourite is to use full fat coconut cream! This product was actually designed keeping the low carb family in mind!
- Gut Lab Cosmic Hot Cacao makes an amazing hot chocolate and includes lucama and cinnamon.
- Four Sigmatic Hot Cacao with Reishi is famous among our Customer Friends for being that perfect quick easy treat at night that also helps you relax and sleep!
I used to love having green tea with sugar at night before going to bed! One of the obstacles for me starting keto was what to replace that with! These drinks made it so much easier, and I still have one of them almost every night!
If thats one of your obstacles on keto, click HERE to check out my favourites!
Aw, you read until the end!!!! Thank you so much for reading about my journey and the obstacles I faced. I created SwitchGrocery to help with my own obstacles surrounding keto and a healthier way of eating, and I hope we can help you too!
If you made it all the way here, first, THANK YOU, and second, it would mean so much to me if you shared this on Facebook! Just click the icon below beside "SHARE".
We're a small business and we try every single food product you see here ourselves. If you have any more questions, come follow us on Instagram and Facebook and we talk recipe ideas, demo different products and show new recipes every day, plus more hacks for the keto life. And you get to see my dog Lucy, who is our CHO (Chief Happiness Officer!)
A real person answers when you send us a Message - I promise!