This is the Protein Sparing Bread that has taken the Keto world by storm! It’s zero carb, high in protein, and is super versatile. The Protein Sparing Modified Fast Bread was created by Maria Emmerich and we’ve adapted it so you can enjoy it too!
Maria Emmerich says she eat the protein bread almost daily for years. (source). It is so good some people call it protein sparing wonder bread.
Make this loaf all your own by adding various spices or seasonings to the recipe!
Join Brie & Neha on Thursday Feb 17th at 7pm ET / 4pm PT to make this recipe!
Muskoka Morning Egg White Protein Powder is the first of its kind in Canada, making this recipe super unique to the low carb community. Egg White Protein is dairy free, sugar free and has 17g of protein per serving. This type of protein helps to support muscle growth and repair, immune function and is keto and diabetic friendly!
- Egg Whites: separating the whites from the yolks for this recipe is key
- Powdered Sweetener: this holds the moisture in the bread and results in a less dryer loaf, plus it adds a touch of sweetness.
- Redmond Real Salt: Real Salt will make everything you eat taste better.
- Cream of Tartar: to help stabilize the whites.
- Muskoka Mornings Egg White Powder: The protein is fermented, which helps to prolong shelf life and ensures you are getting 100% pure egg white protein!
Step by Step Instructions
How to make Protein Sparing Bread?
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 325°F
STEP2: Separate the eggs and place the whites into a large bowl or stand mixer. Add the sweetener, salt and cream of tartar and whip the whites for a few minutes until VERY stiff.
STEP 3: Turn the mixer to low and gently mix the Muskoka Mornings egg white protein powder into the whites.
STEP 4: Grease a bread pan cooking oil spray and fill with protein sparing bread mixture.
STEP 5: Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn oven off and leave bread in the oven for 15 minutes to avoid the bread from falling.
STEP 6: Let completely cool before cutting or the bread will fall. Cut into slices.
- Not even a drop of the yolks can get into the whites otherwise they will fail to whip.
- Use room temperature eggs
- Humidity can affect this recipe, therefore plan to make this bread on days when it's not humid.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Make bread into 18 buns on a greased cookie sheet bake for 13-15 minutes at 350°F.
- Sprinkle the top of the loaf with Everything But the Bagel Seasoning before placing in the oven for an additional flavour to the bread.
- Add an individual package of any of your favourite Keto Chow mixes to this recipe and flavour this bread like Apple Pie, Gingerbread or Strawberry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I toast the PSMF Bread?
Yes, simply slice and toast like you would any other bread. However, keep an eye on it as it may toast a lot quicker than traditional bread.
Is egg white protein powder the same as egg white powder?
Yes, they are essentially the same.
Is this Protein Sparing Bread Keto?
Yes, this bread contains roughly 1g of carbs per slice of bread.
Other Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy
Protein Sparing Modified Bread Loaf
Protein Sparing Modified Bread is almost zero carb, high in protein, and is super versatile. Great for sandwiches, used for dipping or toast, just like traditional bread. Simple recipe with just a few ingredients great for keto, low carb and diabetic friendly.
Preheat the oven to 325°F
Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a large bowl or stand mixer. Add the sweetener, salt and cream of tartar and whip the whites for a few minutes until VERY stiff.
Turn the mixer to low and gently mix the egg white protein powder into the whites.
Grease a bread pan with cooking spray and fill with protein sparing bread mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn oven off and leave bread in the oven for 15 minutes to avoid the bread from falling.
- Let completely cool before cutting or the bread will fall. Cut into slices.
Servings: | Calories: 48 | Net Carb: 1g | Total Fat: 0g | Total Carb: 1g | Fiber: 0g | Protein: 10g
Nutritional and macronutrient information may vary slightly depending on brands/ingredients used.